Roast Gammon With Ginger Beer
- 1 x 1.7kg good-quality, dry cured gammon joint, rinsed
- 1 x 330ml can ginger beer
- 2 tablespoons ginger preserve
For the Clementine Relish
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 clementines, peeled and broken into segments
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger preserve
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
Double line a large roasting tin with foil. Place the joint in roasting tin and pour over ginger beer. Cover with foil and roast for the calculated cooking time: 20 mins per 450g plus 20 mins.
Remove the roasting tin from oven and carefully remove joint. Transfer to a clean chopping board. Discard the cooking liquor from the tin and re-line with foil. Remove the rind from the gammon joint and score the fat into diamonds. Brush the ginger preserve all over and return the joint to the roasting tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes until glaze is golden brown.
For the clementine relish, heat the oil in a small pan and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until onion is soft and liquid syrupy.
Serve the hot gammon with a selection of roasted vegetables and a spoonful of clementine relish. Also delicious cold!
As an approximate guide, for boneless joints allow 100g raw gammon per person and for bone-in joints allow 170-225g for bone in.